1/3 Photos of Sweet Potato and Onion Soup
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
This simple recipe uses the sweet potato with its distinctive flavour and colour as the base for a delicious soup with a hint of orange and coriander. Taken from "What's Cooking : Potatoes" The recipe calls for the soup to be pureed, and the addition of yoghurt. I don't do this as we prefer chunky soups, so in fact, I stop at the end of Step 4! I squeezed fresh oranges for the orange juice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 300 ml unsweetened orange juice
- 225 ml plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- coriander sprig
- orange rind
- 1Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the diced sweet potatoes and carrot, sliced onions and garlic.
- 2Saute gently for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Pour in the vegetable stock and orange juice, and bring them to the boil.
- 4Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook the vegetables for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato and carrot cubes are tender.
- 5Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender in batches, and process for one minute until pureed. Return the puree to the rinsed out pan.
- 6Stir in the natural yoghurt and chopped coriander and season to taste. Serve the soup garnished with coriander sprigs and orange rind.
- 8This soup can be served chilled, if preferred. If chilling it, stir the yoghurt into the soup just before serving, and serve in chilled bowls.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 164.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 21.6 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: