Recipe by misstasty
This soup is a little spicy, elegant enough for a dinner party, super cheap to make and very tasty... Don't be put off by the lentils - trust me you won't know they are there (and secretly they are so good for you).
Top Review by little_princess_suzy
Amazing recipe! It is very very inexpensive, and the flavour is fantastic! I left out the coriander because I was feeling lazy, used vegetable stock in place of chicken, and pureed the soup in 2 batches in the blender and it came out perfectly. Definately nice enough to serve at a dinner party. Thanks for posting!
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups water
- 1 cup red lentil
- 3 medium onions
- 750 g sweet potatoes
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup coriander, chopped (or less to your taste)
- 1 lemon
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and sweet potatoes - can be chunky.
- Combine with the stock or water, lentils, garlic, cumin, cayenne and turmeric in a pot.
- Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer until the potatoes and lentils are cooked - about 20-30 minutes.
- Puree the soup, adding in the coriander and the juice of the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste (lots of pepper for me).