1/2 Photos of Sweet Potato and Lemongrass Soup
I found this recipe online in an article about a Philadelphia restaurant and tried it out at home. I wasn't overawed by it, but love the flavors, so I decided to play around with it a bit. By the third batch I had hit gold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, peeled and minced, I freeze my gingeroot and then grate it on a Microplane, it's the best
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I just smash it with the broad side of a knife)
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 cups water (this makes a thick soup, use 7 cups if you like it thinner)
- 10 stalks lemongrass, outer dry leaves removed and bulblike base crushed (again, the broad side of a knife works wonderfully here)
- 7 ounces coconut milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1In large, heavy soup pot, heat the oil medium-hot and saute the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the ginger, jalapeno and garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
- 3Add the sweet potato and water. It should be just enough water to cover the sweet potatoes.
- 4Tie the lemongrass stalks together with string and put the bulb/base ends into the soup.
- 5Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the potatoes break apart, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6Discard the lemongrass stalks. P.
- 7uree the soup -- I use an immersion blender right in the pot, or you could do this in batches in the food processor or blender.
- 8Strain the soup through a fine sieve (I didn't even bother with this step).
- 9Stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Lemongrass Soup
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.3
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: