This is my translation of a yummy salad I've had cooked for me a couple of times by a young Japanese girl who lived with us. I wish you could see the original.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and slice lengthways.
- Cut into 1cm half moons.
- Do the same with the un-peeled lemon.
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan with almost enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer (don't cover the saucepan) until most of the liquid has boiled away and the potatoes are soft.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
This is very similar to a Japanese recipe sweet potato recipe I make, but I think this is a better version because the liquid is reduced, and I will be switching to this one in the future. The sweet potatoes are good hot, as well as at room temperature. I'd recommend using organic lemons if you can possibly get them, as conventional ones may have pesticides on them.
this was awfull! 3 of us tasted it, and we all (while trying to be polite...) spat it out.
I think the lemon peel gave it a horrid bitter after taste, just not our bag, so I am not gonna rate it, cause obviously others liked it.
Sweet sunshine! Made using what we call sweet potatoes and believe others call a yam (nice dark orange color). Made half recipe and wish I had made a full recipe. For half recipe used 3/4 cup water which took about half hour to simmer down to a thin syrup. These are great at room temp and taste like sweet sunshine. You can bet I will be making again. Thanks for the post.