1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato and Leek Roulade
1 hr 35 mins
I found this in an ABC Delicious magazine a few years ago and have been serving it as part of Christmas dinner since. This is a lovely Special Occasion dish for vegetarians, or a nice side dish for meat-eaters. You can make the roulade the day before; just wrap in foil and pop into the oven to heat through before serving. Prep/Cooking times are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 60 g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 500 g sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 100 ml light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Grease and line a 39 x 26cm Swiss roll pan.
- 3To make roulade, heat the oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat.
- 4Add the leek and cook gently for five minutes until soft.
- 5Wipe pan, then add the butter. When it has melted, add the flour and cook 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Start adding the milk, a little at a time, whisking until milk is combined and sauce has thickened. Remove from heat, beat in egg yolks one at a time, then season.
- 6In a separate, clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff (great job for the bench mixer). Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the roux, then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- 7Fold in the leeks and cheddar until just combined, then pour into prepared pan and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- 8For the filling, boil, steam or microwave sweet potato until tender. Drain and mash with butter, cream and nutmeg. Season to taste and set aside.
- 9To make stuffing, melt butter in frypan over medium heat. Add onion, cook for five minutes or until soft. Add garlic and breadcrumbs and cook for further 3 - 4 minutes. Stir in herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- 10When roulade is cooked, place clean tea towel on the workbench and sprinkle with parmesan. Turn the roulade out onto the tea towel and peel off baking paper. Allow to cool for 2 minutes, then spread the sweet potato over the roulade.
- 11Sprinkle the stuffing over the sweet potato, then using the edge of the tea towel, carefully roll up the roulade from the longest side, finishing with the seam down.
- 12Slice and serve warm with salad and crusty bread, or anything else you desire!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Leek Roulade
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.9
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 314.8 mg
- Sodium 595.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 20.8 g