Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
just flippin good and gooey.
Top Review by KT9791
I was very optimistic about this non-traditional sweet potato recipe, but never made it past the crust. I had to search high and low for a scale which could tell me about many sweet potatoes makes 350g. I was NOT happy about struggling to make the conversions.
The dough was WAY too much for one pie, and very wet. The directions were not easy to follow, and since I was in a rush, I scrapped the whole thing and made something else. :(
For the pastry
- 175 g plain flour
- 150 g butter
- 50 g vegetarian parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling
- 450 g leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 350 g sweet potatoes, chunked
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 300 ml double cream, aka heavy cream
- 200 g goat cheese, cubed
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the pastry.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in half the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2/3 of the parmesan. Beat the egg yolk with 2 tbsp of water and add to mixture to form a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and place in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 190°C.
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and fry the leeks, potato and thyme for 10 minutes.
- Add wine and stock and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly until the liquid is reduced by 50%.Add the cream and bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the sauce resembles thick cream,.
- Place mix in a large pie dish and scatter with the cheese.
- Roll the pastry into a circle large enough to cover the pie dish. Brush the rim with a little water and cover the pie. Trim any excess and make decorations if you wish.
- Brush the pastry with the egg.
- Scatter the pie with the remaining parmesan and black pepper.
- Cook for 35 minutes until golden brown.