Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are very tasty in your favorite sauce or seared in herb butter. I got the idea for these because I had doubled the recipe for Chef Kate's "Roasted Sweet Potato and Feta Ravioli"# 210595.I used up all the wrappers and had filling left over. Well waste not want not. I made up this recipe from the left over filling and everyone loved it.
- In a microwave safe dish put sweet potato and add a little water. Cook on high until potato is soft about 10 minutes ( depends on size of potato and your microwave).
- Finely dice onion and sauté over medium heat until it just starts to brown.
- In a large pot bring 2 quarts of water to boil .
- When potato is ready let cool slightly, (until cool enough to handle ) spoon the flesh into a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper and mash.
- Fold in feta, onion and egg and mix well.
- Add 1 12 cups flour to the mixture until incorporated. This makes a very soft dough.
- Pour about a ½ cup of flour on a plate or a clean dry surface. I used a teaspoon to take the dough out of the bowl and then dredge the dough in the flour.
- Shake off the excess flour and place on a clean tea towel.
- Repeat until the dough is finished.
- Add about 12 pieces at a time to the boiling water.
- When gnocchi floats to the top cook another 3 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon to a colander.
- Repeat until all the gnocchi are cooked.
- You can now brown these in an herb butter or just top with your favourite sauce.
I made a thick white sauce with fresh sage and lemon rind to go along with it, which worked out wonderfully. I also added 2 tbsp of brown sugar to the gnocchi dough
These were excellent! I didn't have any feta so I used cheddar cheese instead. Thanks.
I have never in my life made or ate gnocchi before and I was a little apprehensive about trying it... but, I must say this is the best! I made it by hand, although next time I would put it in the stand mixer to combine. Instructions were very well written and the taste was wonderful, of course, I do love sweet potatoes, onions and feta!! I could not distinguish the feta, so next time I might just leave it out to cut calories. Also, I did use 1/2 cup of wheat flour to contribute a little more fiber to this dish. I served with a side of steamed broccoli and topped it off with marinara sauce.... actually DS just dipped his gnocchi's right into the sauce which he thought was very cool - also his first time trying gnocchi! Thanks for sharing this super recipe! Made for Please Review My Recipe game.