1/5 Photos of Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
1 hr 5 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Recipe of the week in "The Week" magazine (heehee). Originally from the NY Times. Easy to make (e.g., some of the hard-to-cut vegetables are processed in a blender or food processor, and don't be put off by the no. of ingredients; they are mostly dried spices) and also ideal as a leftover served atop a thick piece of sourdough toast as per Nigella Lawson. Update - I made this the other night, and it was very tasty with lite coconut milk. I plan to make this again soon:D
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium red onions, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 birds eye chiles (seeded, not seeded according to taste) or 1 Thai chiles (seeded, not seeded according to taste) or 1 hot pepper (seeded, not seeded according to taste)
- 2 1/2 inches piece gingerroot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 cardamom pods, light crushed or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces (about 3 medium)
- 1 3/4 cups light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth (hot)
- 4 -5 cups chickpeas, canned (about 4 15 1/2 ounce cans)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- cooked white rice (optional)
- 1Chop the onions if using a blender.
- 2In food processor or blender, combine onions, garlic, hot pepper and ginger. Pulse until finely chopped.
- 3Pour oil into large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion mixture and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add hot pepper flakes, ground ginger, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to mix. Add sweet potatoes and stir until well covered in spices. Stir in coconut milk.
- 5Dissolve tamarind paste in hot vegetable broth and add to pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until sweet potatoes are just tender, about 30 minutes or more. Taste potatoes to make sure they are cooked all the way and allow additional cooking time of necessary.
- 6Add chickpeas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Adjust salt to taste. Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with white rice if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.7
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 565.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk