Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great holiday side dish.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 medium carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- In a big pot, add potatoes, carrots, and enough water to cover; bring to a boil; lower heat to low,cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Drain vegetables; then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher until almost a puree (do not puree in food processor as the texture will not be right).
- Add in the orange juice, egg, butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, bourbon, and salt/pepper to taste; stir until well blended.
- Stir in pecans; scape mixture into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes or until slightly browned.
Very yummy casserole, everyone loved it! I just made a small one for three of us, I big yam and 4 small carrots and cut back the other ingredients accordingly. I also used splenda brown sugar mix. I will definately be making this again, thanks for posting.