Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From vegetarian times Dec 2011
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jarprepared salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces round queso fresco, divided
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- To make sauce: Bring all ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan over med heat. Whisk to combine, then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- To make filling: Heat olive oil in a separate saucepan over med heat. Add onion and saute 5 min or until soft. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, salsa,, garlic, chili, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30-140 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft. Mash mixture with potato masher until combined. Add black beans and cook 5 minutes. Stir in half the queso fresco and remove from heat.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 13x9 baking dish with oil. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom. Fill tortillas with filling. Roll, and pack close together, seam side down. Top with remaining sauce and queso fresco. Bake 15 minutes.
- Adjust the oven to broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Let rest a few minutes before serving. Garnish with avocado and sour cream.
Yum! This is a filling and delicious enchilada dish. The flavor is wonderful, and the touch of heat and smokiness from the chipotle chile in adobo is wonderful. Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 58
I made this awhile ago from the VT website. DH and I both really enjoyed it and it has long been in my keeper file to make again.