1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito
1 hr 5 mins
Sweet potatoes add an unexpected creaminess to the filling in these burritos. Serve the burritos on a bed of rice, if you like, with plenty of salsa. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons other vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons broth
- 3 1/2 cups diced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh green chili pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 1/2 cups cooked black beans (three 15-ounce cans, drained)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- fresh salsa
- 1Preheat the oven to 350*.
- 2Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with the salt and water to cover.
- 3Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 4Drain and set aside.
- 5While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm the oil in a medium skillet or saucepan and add the onions, garlic, and chile.
- 6Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 7 minutes.
- 7Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- 8Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 9In a food processor, combine the black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and cooked sweet potatoes and puree until smooth (or mash the ingredients in a large bowl by hand).
- 10Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large mixing bowl and mix in the cooked onions and spices.
- 11Lightly oil a large baking dish.
- 12Spoon about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the filling in the center of each tortilla, roll it up, and place it, seam side down, in the baking dish.
- 13Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until piping hot.
- 14Serve topped with salsa.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito
Serving Size: 1 (2933 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1156.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 19.8 g