2 hrs 20 mins
From Sara Moulten's cookbook, 'Sara Moulten cooks at home'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (566.99 g) sweet potatoes
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 354.88 ml thoroughly cooked black beans or 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 118.29 ml vegetable stock or 118.29 ml water
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (48 inch) flour tortillas
- 2-3 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- shredded romaine lettuce
- sour cream
- chopped pickled jalapeno pepper, for garnish
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degress Farenheit. Prick the potatoes with a knife in several places and bake in a small baking pan until very tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, unyil softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and for 1 minute longer. Stir in cumin and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and vegetable stock, cover, cook until the beans are very soft and the flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Use a fork or potato masher to coarsely mash the beans. Season with salt and pepper. You should have about 1 1/2 cups.
- 3Remove the potatoes from the oven and cool. (Keep the oven at the same temperature.) When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, halve and scoop out the flesh. Place the fresh in a small bowl and use a fork to mash coarse. Discard the skins. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. You should have 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
- 4Spread the tortillas with roughly equal amounts of the bean mixture. Top with equal amounts of the potato puree. Sprinkle on equal amounts of scallions and chesse. Roll the tortillas into cylinder and arrange, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with vegetable oil. Place in a baking pan large enough to hold the burritos in one flat layer. For a soft burrito, cover with foil and bakie until warmed through, about 20 minutes. Bake uncovered for a crisper burrito. Arrange the garnishes attractively in bowls and let diners garnish their own burritos.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.6
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 769.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 22.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: