Recipe by Whisper
You can't beat this winning combination! And then add maple syrup on top of it. Mmmm. This recipe comes from the cookbook Thru the Grapevine from the Junior League of Elmira. Prep time includes cooking potatoes and apples.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling, salted water for 30-35 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from heat, cool, peel and slice 1 inch thick.
- Place sliced apples, salt, maple syrup and butter in a saucepan.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until almost tender.
- Place half the potato slices in a layer in a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Spoon half the apple mixture over potatoes.
- Repeat, layering potatoes and apple mixture.
- Put crumbs on top and bake at 400F for about 20 minutes.