Recipe by dicentra
This is from my Eat Well, Stay Well Cookbook. I don’t like marshmallows on my sweet potatoes. This looks like a good alternative.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 apples, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges (peel if desired)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450. In a very large nonstick skillet, heat the butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes, apples, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon juice and cook until the sugar has melted.
- Add the broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Transfer the mixture to a 7 by 11 glass baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake for 10 more minutes or until lightly browned.