I've read that Cafe Rio uses Coke syrup. Well, that's not likely to be found easily, so here's one from Family Favorite Recipes with my slight spin. I prefer the boneless pork ribs. Do not use the loin for it is too dry and will not shred. Also, the longer and slower you cook the pork, it will produce meat that shreds better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder or 2 lbs pork butt
- 2 (12 ounce) cans Coke, divided (NOT diet coke)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 dash garlic salt
- 1 dash onion salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 chili in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 0.75 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (3/4 of a 10 ounce can)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (up to 1/2 cup more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Place pork in a heavy duty ziplock bag to marinate. Add 1 can coke and 1/4 cup brown sugar, squeezing out the air. Refrigerate and marinade for several hours or overnight.
- 2Drain marinade and place pork, 1/2 can of coke, water, garlic salt, onion salt, cumin and minced adobo chili in crock pot on low for about 8 hours (or until it shreds easily, but don't allow it to become too dry). Remove pork from crock pot and drain any liquid left in the pot and discard; shred pork.
- 3In a food processor or blender, blend 1/2 can Coke, green chilies, enchilada sauce and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste). If it looks too thick, add more Coke little by little.
- 4Put shredded pork, sauce and butter in crock pot and cook on low for 1 hour. Note: Do not over stir or it will become mushy.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Pork (Something Like Cafe Rio)
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 854.9
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 168.8 mg
- Sodium 1037.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 61.1 g
- Protein 39.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: