Recipe by PaigeSpud
This is a recipe for sweet pork that we like to eat in a burrito or taco. Try the cilantro lime rice in the burrito or as a side dish. This recipe comes from our favorite fresh mex restaurant Cafe Rio. It is pretty close to the real thing. We love it and everyone we serve it to asks for the recipe.
Top Review by sharonackerson
I've tried a few different Cafe Rio sweet pork recipes and this is by far my favorite! I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfect and made a ton. I like the addition of the enchilada sauce.
- 3 -4 lbs pork roast or 3 -4 lbs pork loin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- water, to cover
- 1 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 3⁄4 cup Coca-Cola or 3⁄4 cup Dr. Pepper cola
- 1 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut pork in large chunks. Put in large crock pot and add water just to cover. Add seasonings. Cut onion in 4 large pieces, crush garlic and add to water. Cook pork on low all day or on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until tender and pork pulls apart easily. Drain water and remove onions and garlic. Pull pork and return to crock pot.
- In a separate container mix enchilada sauce, soda and sugar. Add to pork in the crock pot. Cook 1 hour longer.
- We like to eat this with the Costco raw tortillas that you cook at home and serve the pork in a tortilla with beans and cilantro lime rice. The pork freezes well and can also be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge.