Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is sweet and tangy. You just can't get enough off it, both kids and adults go wild. It was given to me by a South African friend. Add enough turmeric to give a soft yellow colour.
- 1 cup basmati rice (only)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 cup ghee
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Boil rice with turmeric until al dente.
- Combine sugar, water and saffron. Boil until it forms a sticky syrup. Add lemon. Heat ghee with cinnamon.
- Add pineapple and syrup.
- Add rice and toss well. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low until slightly moist.
I was kind of lazy making this. I tossed everything in a rice cooker.. and was kind of weary mid way through but omg.. it was excellent! Thanks Lemoncurd for posting!
Just wasn't what we liked. I thought it would be delicious. I did use about 3/4 cup fresh pineapple and way less sugar (probably 3/4 cup) I advise you to use canned and put 1 1/4 cups sugar maybe. That's what I would do if I were to try this again.
Easy to make and a stunning presentation! I used only one cup of sugar but increased the pineapple to one cup as well. Next time I may just use the whole can of pineapple and syrup, and cut the sugar down to half a cup. I added the cardamom pods in step #2 since it didn't specify. This is very sweet...like a dessert, so I can see how kids would love it. I think leftovers make a terrific breakfast. Made for "A Taste of Yellow for Livestrong Day".