Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
My mom made these beets for us as kids and I now make them for my family. Fresh from the garden or farmers market.
- Cut the leaves off the beet about 3” off the beet to prevent the beet from bleeding out. (Reserve them for cooked greens).
- Separate into sizes so little ones don’t get over cooked and big ones are not under cooked.
- I like 3 kettles they boil faster that way.
- No salt in the water.
- Boil beets till tender, can be checked using a fork (like a potato).
- Drain and discard cooking liquid; let beets cool so they can be easily peeled.
- Cut beets into 1/2” pieces, leaving very small beets whole.
- Combine brine ingredients in a kettle.
- Bring brine to a boil.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- You may need to make more brine for this amount of beets.
- Wash pint jars and covers.
- Fill jars within 1/2” from the top with beets.
- Fill jar with boiling brine to 1/2” from top.
- Place lids, adjust rings fingertip-tight and process in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes at up to 1000 feet in elevation.
- Cool processed jars undisturbed for 24 hours on a cloth-protected counter.
- Any leftover brine can be stored in the refrigerator till the next time you can.