Recipe by Ellen Brody
I got this recipe from a neighbor many years ago. It is very simple and very good and inexpensive. They are requested all the time from family and friends.
Top Review by deb elshoff
I used this recipe last weekend but I didn't do the spears. I cut the cucumbers into slices.Except for the ones that were to big to slice so those I skinned and cut out the seeds and chunked up. We haven't tried them yet but it was so easy to do . And didn't take me 2 weeks like some other recipes.
- 4 lbs cucumbers (3-4inch)
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 3⁄4 cups vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 4 teaspoons celery seeds
- 4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- slice ends from cucumbers and cut into spears.
- Cover cucumbers with boiling water; let stand 2 hours.
- Drain and pack into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil.
- Pour hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust caps.
- Process l0 minutes in boiling water bath.