Recipe by PICCO
A really nice relish, great for hamburgers, I have a friend who puts this on tuna sandwiches.Good way to use up those overripe cucumbers
Top Review by Nunya Bidness
This makes a really boffo hot dog relish! To get that authentic "Chicago Dog" relish, add blue food dye No. 1, which will turn this neon green! Dice the peppers and cucumbers very fine - about 1/8" or smaller.
- 4 cups cucumbers, remove seeds and chop*
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup salt (course)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Cover with water and let sit overnight.
- In the morning drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Press to get as much juice out as possible.
- In a large pot combine sugar,vinegar,celery seed & mustard seed.
- Bring to a boil, add vegetables, return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for @20 minutes.
- Mix 4tbs. corn starch with 1/4cup of water and thicken.
- Pour into prepared jars and seal.
- * An easy way to seed the cucumbers is to cut them in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.