Prep 5 hrs
Cook 5 hrs 20 mins
A basic, sweet pickle relish recipe for canning.
- 946.36 ml ground cucumbers, unpeeled
- 354.88 ml ground green bell peppers
- 709.77 ml finely diced celery
- 59.14 ml salt
- 828.06 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml white vinegar
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds
- 29.57 ml chopped dill (optional)
- Combine all veg in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, add water to cover and let stand for 5 hours.
- Drain well and press out remaining liquid.
- Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in veg and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
Easy recipe for my first pickle canning. I used 5 1/2 c cucumbers and only 1 1/2 c celery - everything else I kept the same. It smelled great going into the jars. However, it makes 6 1/2 pints, not 6 pints. With only 8.5 cups of veggies, I was wondering where the other 3.5 cups were coming from! Next time I'll double everything to get the expected volume. I chopped all the veggies in my non-electric Quick Chopper (like a Tupperware Quick Chef) and it was really fast & easy. Thanks for the recipe!
I doubled the recipe and left out the green pepper (my family can't eat them) and added the dill. Great relish that we have been adding to everything!
This is my first attempt to make relish. We are overrun by cucumbers from our garden so I thought this would be a great way to use them. It turned out really good. I accidently grabbed a zucchini and chopped it with the cucumbers. It worked fine so the next 2 batches I made I purposely added a little zucchini.