Recipe by Dib's
A basic, sweet pickle relish recipe for canning.
Top Review by Goji Girl
Easy recipe for my first pickle canning. I used 5 1/2 c cucumbers and only 1 1/2 c celery - everything else I kept the same. It smelled great going into the jars. However, it makes 6 1/2 pints, not 6 pints. With only 8.5 cups of veggies, I was wondering where the other 3.5 cups were coming from! Next time I'll double everything to get the expected volume. I chopped all the veggies in my non-electric Quick Chopper (like a Tupperware Quick Chef) and it was really fast & easy. Thanks for the recipe!
- 4 cups ground cucumbers, unpeeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground green bell peppers
- 3 cups finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 teaspoons chopped dill (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all veg in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, add water to cover and let stand for 5 hours.
- Drain well and press out remaining liquid.
- Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in veg and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.