Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delicious on it's own, this vegan slaw really dresses up Sweet Potato Po' Boys. A simple slaw, made wonderful with a yummy peppercorn dressing. Another wonderful recipe from Joni Marie Newman. Check her out: justthefood.com.
For the slaw
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
For the peppercorn dressing
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh fennel, leaf (or celery leaf and a few crushed fennel seeds)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Toss together the cabbage, carrots and raisins or cranberries in a large mixing bowl.
- Add soymilk to a small mixing bowl. Stir in lemon juice and allow to sit for a few minutes. It will curdle and become like buttermilk.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Toss dressing with the slaw and serve immediately.
My family is funny about coleslaw. I sent the cabbage through the food processor shredder & it came out too finely shredded. I recommend the thin slicer instead. Also, don't send baby carrots through the food processor, lmao, a lot of them didn't get shredded. *I* thought it tasted good, not over the top wow, though. I would add more fennel leaves as I couldn't detect them at all. Made for Sun & Spice Event 2/2013.