1/1 Photo of Sweet Pepper Vegetarian Chili
1 hr 5 mins
From Eric Zwillinger of the Fedora Cafe in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. Recipe from the book "The Color Code" For Vegetarian do not use Chicken broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium yellow squash, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (~1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (~1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, of your choice (~1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Sautee onion, carrot and peppers, until onion is golden- about 8 minutes.
- 3Add squash and zucchini and cook through- about 6-8 more minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes (and liquid) and broth.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Drain (if using canned) and add the beans to the pot.
- 7Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 8Add chili powder, cumin and cilantro.
- 9Continue to simmer until chili is thickened- about 8 minutes.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Add the cayenne, if desired.
- 12Serve over rice or with sour cream and cheese.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Pepper Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 87.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.8 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: