Recipe by Roosie
From Eric Zwillinger of the Fedora Cafe in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. Recipe from the book "The Color Code" For Vegetarian do not use Chicken broth.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
Thanks Roosie for another fine vegetarian chili. Had to make one change when I realiized I was out of black beans. Since the veggies were already simmering, I went with 1 can cannelini, 1 dark kidney and 1 pink kidney. The chili was really nice and had a nice natural sweetness coming from the peppers. The addition of the fresh cilantro also infused the pot with this great aroma and taste. In preparing this again, and I will, I'd make 2 small changes and write these for others. First, keep the diced peppers some what large so that the don't melt into the sauce. I would also consider reducing the amount of zucchini as it seemed to overwhelm the peppers.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium yellow squash, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (~1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (~1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, of your choice (~1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sautee onion, carrot and peppers, until onion is golden- about 8 minutes.
- Add squash and zucchini and cook through- about 6-8 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes (and liquid) and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Drain (if using canned) and add the beans to the pot.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin and cilantro.
- Continue to simmer until chili is thickened- about 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cayenne, if desired.
- Serve over rice or with sour cream and cheese.