Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe looks a lot more complicated than it really is. The flavor is fantastic. It is low fat, but nobody can tell.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled
- 12 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup seafood stock, defatted
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice or 6 cups pasta shells, cooked
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients (first 11 ingredients) in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel the shrimp and set them aside.
- Place the evaporated milk and the cream cheese in a blender and puree until smooth.
- and creamy.
- Preheat a heavy 10-inch skillet, preferably nonstick, over high heat to 350.
- F, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, 1/4 CUP EACH of the red, yellow, and green bell peppers,.
- and 1 TABLESPOON PLUS 1 TEASPOON of the seasoning mix. Stir, and cook 3.
- minutes. Add the stock, 1/2 CUP of the apple juice, and the garlic, scrape.
- the bottom of the skillet to clear it of all brown bits, and cook until.
- most of the liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Add 1/2 CUP apple juice,.
- scrape the bottom to clear it, and cook 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture.
- from the skillet to a blender, add dry milk, and puree until smooth.
- Return the pureed mixture to the skillet over high heat, and stir in the.
- REMAINING bell peppers and the REMAINING 1/2 CUP apple juice. Cook,.
- scraping the bottom occasionally to keep the mixture from sticking, for 7.
- minutes. Add the remaining seasoning mix and shrimp, stir, and cook 3.
- minutes. Stir in the creamy mixture.
- CAUTION: Dishes using these creamy mixtures can "break" or curdle easily if.
- they are brought to a full boil. Therefore, bring the liquid just to a.
- gentle boil, about 3 minutes, and stir immediately. Reduce the heat to.
- medium and cook, stirring continuously, until the shrimp are plump and.
- firm, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Remove 1 cup of liquid, strain it, and puree it with the.
- nonfat mayonnaise. Stir this mixture back into the mixture in the skillet.
- Serve over the rice or pasta.