Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
365:No Repeats. Rachael Ray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 dashes hot sauce
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen peas
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 slices baguette
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the crispy bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel. Add the onions, garlic, and thyme to the pot and season with salt, pepper, and a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the frozen peas and continue to cook until the peas are defrosted and heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the onions and peas to a blender or food processor with 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and puree until smooth.
- Add the pureed peas back to the soup pot and stir in the remaining chicken stock and the cream, bring up to a simmer, and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, toast the baguette slices until golden brown in the broiler or toaster oven.
- In a bowl, mix the Parmigiano with the reserved crispy bacon and the parsley. Once the toast is nice and golden, sprinkle the bacon-Parmigiano mixture over the bread and return to the broiler or toaster oven to melt and lightly brown the cheese.
- To finish the soup, add the lemon zest and juice, stir to combine, and transfer the soup to serving bowls.
- Float 2 Parmigiano toasts on top of each soup bowl and serve immediately.