Recipe by Manami
From: Cheese Guru by Marcia Kiesel in the February 2005 edition of Food & Wine Magazine. This silky, vividly colored sweet pea puree is ideal for entertaining because it is delicious both warm and at room temperature;;) the soups and crisps can be made entirely ahead, and the tart Majorero cream can be melted just before serving.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 5 cups frozen peas (25 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely shredded Roncal cheese or 1⁄2 cup semi-aged sheep's-milk cheese
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup majorero wine or 1⁄3 cup zamorano wine
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE THE SOUP:.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the shallot and thyme and cook over moderately low heat until the shallot is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water and all but 1 cup of the peas and bring to a boil.
- Add a pinch of salt, cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the peas are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of peas and simmer for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Discard the thyme; stir in the parsley.
- Working in batches, puree the sweet pea soup in a blender.
- Strain the soup through a coarse sieve set over another medium saucepan.
- Season the soup with salt and keep warm.
- PREPARE THE RONCAL CRISPS:.
- Set a medium nonstick skillet over moderate heat.
- Spread four 1-tablespoon mounds of the Roncal in the skillet and flatten slightly.
- Cook the cheese over moderate heat until bubbling and set on the bottom, about 3 minutes; do not brown.
- Using a spatula, transfer the crisps to paper towels; let cool until firm.
- Repeat with the remaining cheese.
- PREPARE MAJORERO CREAM:.
- In a small glass bowl, heat the heavy cream in a microwave at high power until boiling, about 30 seconds.
- Add the Majorero and heat until the cheese is just melted, about 20 seconds & stir until blended.
- Ladle the soup into small bowls.
- Swirl in the Majorero cream and serve with the Roncal crisps.
- MAKE AHEAD:.
- *The pea soup can be refrigerated overnight.
- **The crisps can be made earlier in the day and reheated in a 325°F oven for 1 minute.
- E N J O Y !