Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a delicious recipe that my family has been passing around. It is quick and easy to whip up in a flash. In less than 30 minutes you can have a homemade soup on the table. Serve it with fresh bread or some crackers.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, coursely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas (or use canned)
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves or 3 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half, heated (or use canned evaporated milk)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, zest of (optional)
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter.
- Add onion and saute until soft.
- Stir in flour and cook over low heat for a couple of minutes, being careful not to burn the butter and flour.
- Whisk in chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring flour off the bottom of the pan.
- Add peas, spinach, and curry powder, salt, and white pepper.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Decant soup into a food processor bowl equipped with a steel blade, pour into a heat proof blender, or put a Braun Handmixer (or something similar) right into the pot.
- Puree briefly.
- Return to saucepan.
- Add heated half and half.
- Season with lemon zest to taste.
- Heat through, and serve.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives and a dollap of sour cream if desired.
Very nice recipe. I made a few small but significant changes: used water instead of stock; instead of a cup of half and half, I put in about two tblsps of coconut milk. Also omitted the lemon zest. Delicious.
Love this soup! It tastes delicious and the aroma makes my mouth water.