Recipe by NorthwestGal
My friend gave me this recipe several years ago, when our families attended a 4th of July picnic together. I have made it many times since then, and it's always a favorite whenever I make it. The recipe makes quite a bit, so it's one of my favorite dishes to take to potlucks, picnics and other gatherings with large crowds. The recipe would fit a lot of party themes, as the ingredients represent various continental cuisines, from the Asian inspired chestnuts to the Brazilian cashews. But it is the smokey Dutch-influenced gouda cheese that adds a wonderful Mediterranean flair to this great picnic salad. Cooking time does not including chilling time (as that can vary greatly).
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
I also made this with one bag of peas and it is delicious and easy to put together. My Dalmatian Monte also loved the photo-taking process and got in on the pict! Made for ZWT #9.
- 4 (16 ounce) bags frozen sweet peas (not thawed)
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese or 8 ounces edam cheese, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sliced cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peas, chestnuts, celery, onion, and cheese in a large salad bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream and sugar until well blended. Add the sour cream mixture to the salad, then season with salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly with a large spoon.
- Place in refrigerator for several hours (or overnight is ideal). Add the cashews just before serving, and toss well to thoroughly blend all ingredients.