Recipe by VKuuipo Bridges
Posted in RealSimple (May 2005) TIP: Contrary to common belief, you don't "have to stand over the stovetop, stirring risotto constantly. Just stir vefore and after the addition of any liquid."
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter and oil together in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil and butter.
- Pour in the wine, then stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add 1 cup of the broth and cook until absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until each portion of the broth is absorbed before adding the next.
- Continue this process until the rice is cooked al dente, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Puree 2 cups of the peas in a blender or food processor.
- Just before serving, stir in the pea puree until fully incorporated, then fold in the remaining whole peas.
- Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
- Serve immediately.