This is great for St. Patrick's Day. Green and delicious risotto with seared scallops. Could also saute shrimp versus scallops. From Tyler Florence.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups fresh peas, cooked (if using frozen, rinse under cool water to thaw)
- 8 cups chicken stock, heated
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb diver scallops
- 1Put 1 cup peas and 1/3 cup chicken stock into a blender and blend until smooth; set aside.
- 2Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat and pour in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add celery and shallots and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, unti soft. Stir in rice, making sure to coat all of the rice grains with the oil. Add wine and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Ladle in one cup hot stock. Using a wooden spoon, stir gently until most of the stock has been absorbed. Keep adding stock, a cup at a time, and stirring.
- 3After about 10-15 minutes, test the rice. It should be cokked and creamy but still have a slight bite to it. You may not need all of the stock. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the butter and Parmesan. Gently fold in the pea puree and remaining 1 cup of whole peas. Taste for seasoning. Remove from heat and cover while you sear the scallops.
- 4Set a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoons butter. Pat the scallops with paper towels to make sure they are VERY dry. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Add scallops to pan, making sure not to overcrowd, and cook until they are nicely browned on both sides, about 4-8 minutes depending on the size of your scallops.
- 5Check the risotto and add a bit more stock if it had gotten too thick. In a shallow bowl or plate, make a nice mound of risotto and top with 3-4 scallops.
- 6Garnish with Parmesana and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Pea and Scallop Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1053.3
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 91.3 mg
- Sodium 1234.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 49.2 g