Recipe by Lalaloula
A sweet pasta bake?! Yes, thats right! :) It is a delicious twist on your usual savoury pasta casserole and sure to impress your family. It is creamy from the ricotta with a hint of vanilla and the rhubarb sauce adds just the right amount of fruityness. I hope youll enjoy this as much as we do!
- 125 g cavatappi pasta (4.4 oz)
- 250 g part-skim ricotta cheese (1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1.23 ml vanilla extract
- 60 g icing sugar (1/2 cup)
- 50 g butter (3 1/2 tbs)
- 20 g vanilla pudding mix (can also use cornstarch and add some vanilla, 2 tbs)
- 59.14 ml macadamia nuts, chopped
Stewed Rhubarb Sauce
- 226.79 g fresh rhubarb, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 14.79 ml Splenda brown sugar blend (or use 2 tbs regular brown sugar)
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 125 ml rhubarb, juice of (or use apple or cherry or grape juice, 8 1/2 tbs)
- 14.79-29.58 ml juice
- 14.79 ml potato starch (can use cornstarch, too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in slightly salted water until al dente (firm to the bite). Drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F Spread chopped macadamia nuts on a paper-lined baking sheet and leave in the oven while preheating (about 10 minutes, but make sure to check them early so they dont overbrown). Retrieve from the oven and allow to cool a bit.
- In a bowl mix ricotta, egg, vanilla extract, icing sugar, butter and vanilla pudding mix powder. Gently fold in pasta and macadamia nuts.
- Spoon into individual ramekins (I fill two 4 inch ramekins with this mix) or a small casserole dish.
- Bake on the lowest rack for 30-35 minutes until custard has set and top is slightly browned.
- Meanwhile prepare the rhubarb sauce by placing your washed, cleaned and cut up rhubarb in a large pot. Add the sugar and almond extract. Heat until sugar has melted and begins to caramelise. Add the juice (careful it might splatter) and cook until rhubarb is nearly tender (about 8 minutes).
- In a small bowl whisk starch with the reserved 1-2 tbs of juice into a smooth paste. Add this paste to the rhubarb stew and bring to a boil. Reduce heat again and cook until slightly thickened stirring every once in a while.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with the pasta casserole. Enjoy! :).