A sweet pasta bake?! Yes, thats right! :) It is a delicious twist on your usual savoury pasta casserole and sure to impress your family. It is creamy from the ricotta with a hint of vanilla and the rhubarb sauce adds just the right amount of fruityness. I hope youll enjoy this as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g cavatappi pasta (4.4 oz)
- 250 g part-skim ricotta cheese (1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 g icing sugar (1/2 cup)
- 50 g butter (3 1/2 tbs)
- 20 g vanilla pudding mix (can also use cornstarch and add some vanilla, 2 tbs)
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
Stewed Rhubarb Sauce
- 1/2 lb fresh rhubarb, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend (or use 2 tbs regular brown sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 125 ml rhubarb, juice of (or use apple or cherry or grape juice, 8 1/2 tbs)
- 1 -2 tablespoon juice
- 1 tablespoon potato starch (can use cornstarch, too)
- 1Cook pasta in slightly salted water until al dente (firm to the bite). Drain well.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F Spread chopped macadamia nuts on a paper-lined baking sheet and leave in the oven while preheating (about 10 minutes, but make sure to check them early so they dont overbrown). Retrieve from the oven and allow to cool a bit.
- 3In a bowl mix ricotta, egg, vanilla extract, icing sugar, butter and vanilla pudding mix powder. Gently fold in pasta and macadamia nuts.
- 4Spoon into individual ramekins (I fill two 4 inch ramekins with this mix) or a small casserole dish.
- 5Bake on the lowest rack for 30-35 minutes until custard has set and top is slightly browned.
- 6Meanwhile prepare the rhubarb sauce by placing your washed, cleaned and cut up rhubarb in a large pot. Add the sugar and almond extract. Heat until sugar has melted and begins to caramelise. Add the juice (careful it might splatter) and cook until rhubarb is nearly tender (about 8 minutes).
- 7In a small bowl whisk starch with the reserved 1-2 tbs of juice into a smooth paste. Add this paste to the rhubarb stew and bring to a boil. Reduce heat again and cook until slightly thickened stirring every once in a while.
- 8Allow to cool slightly and serve with the pasta casserole. Enjoy! :).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Pasta Bake With Stewed Rhubarb Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 969.6
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 185.1 mg
- Sodium 447.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 45.0 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: