Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This party mix recipe came from my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. My DH loves party mix so this is a popular recipe in our home.
- 4 cups bite-size Corn Chex
- 4 cups bite-size Rice Chex
- 2 cups pretzels (knots)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup dried blueberries or 1 cup dried cherries
- Combine corn and rice cereals, pretzels, and almonds together in large roasting pan or baking dish, set aside.
- Bring to boil while stirring in a medium saucepan the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. When mixture comes to boiling point stop stirring and let boil for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. Pour immediately over cereal mixture. Stir gently to evenly coat cereal mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes in 300 degree oven. Stir and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven, stir in dried fruit, and spread mixture on buttered foil to cool. Break into bite size pieces and store in airtight container.
Oh my goodness! This was sooo good. I think the name suits the taste just right - while I was making it I thought it would taste more caramely; however, the coating was really quite sweet... almost a honey flavor. After pouring the coating over the dry ingredients (I threw the cranberries in for baking too, that way they'd stick to everything else) I didn't think the coverage was very good, so I stirred after 10 and 15 minutes and everything got coated very nicely and the taste was just right - not too sweet or buttery... Perfect!
Wow - was this great! I had intended to make this up for the kids as a snack so I used what cereals I had in my pantry - Corn Chex and Cheerios. Also used the remainder of 2 bags of pretzels that nobody wanted because they were "broken" - this turned out to be a great way to use them up! Wanted to use dried blueberries but couldn't find anything close so I bought a bag of Craisins Trail Mix (Cranberry & Chocolate) and boy did that turn out to be a good decision! I loved the combination of flavors here - salty, sweet, & tart - yum! Next time I will add even more Craisins as the trail mix didn't quite have enough and they really make the snack in my opinion. I ended up eating 2 bowls as my dinner - thanks Lauralie41!
My family really likes this! I too threw the cranberries in early but I wouldn't do that again as they got a little more crispy than I cared for, but good just the same. I didn't have enough craisins so I threw in a nut/raisin/seed mix I had on hand. I also added more soda to the sweet mix to make it a little more airy. Turned out very well. Thanks, will make again.