Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a spin on my oven-baked risotto (Oven-Baked Risotto (So Easy)). This vegan version of rice pudding is easy to prepare and comes out thick and creamy just how I like it. If you prefer a thinner version, feel free to add more liquid. I think this a very versatile recipe and I plan to try it with different add-ins (e.g. nuts, fruit, chocolate, carob powder...). That said, I really like the plain version, too.
- 200 g risotto rice (I used carnaroli)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or more if you like a sweeter rice pudding)
- 375 ml vanilla-flavored rice milk, warmed (or soy or oat or almond)
- 125 ml apple juice (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
add-ins of your choice
- carob powder, chocolate chips, fresh fruit etc
- In an oven-proof, greased (or non-stick) casserole dish combine rice and sugar. Pour over applejuice. Dissolve spices in warm milk and pour this over the rice, too.
- Cover pan with aluminium foil and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F for 25 minutes.
- After the rice has baked for 25 minutes, remove from the oven, uncover and add add-ins of choice. Bake (uncovered) for another 10 minutes.
So easy and creamy good. I made 2 serving worth. Using coconut milk,I did add a split 1/3 of a vanilla bean. The apple juice and dried berries I added gave a nice tang. I did bake for 60 minutes. Thank you for the comforting dessert!