Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This has been my Birthday cake every year since I was about 10 or 11...Having cows, we never had a shortage of milk or cream, this was one way to use it up! I really don't know where my mother got the original recipe, but I have been making it myself for quite some time now, and this is my spin on it. Makes 3 9" round cakepans.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt and cool baking chocolate in double boiler or by other means and allow to cool. Cream together egg yolks, sugar and cream, and add chocolate and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda and add to wet ingredients.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and carefully fold into batter.
- Pour batter evenly between 3 9" round cake pans and bake in the oven at 350 F for 25-30 minute or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, cover with clean dishtowel and allow to cool before removing from pans.
- I usually frost with a buttercream or cream cheese frosting and then drizzle bitter chocolate around the top to cut the sweetness of the frosting.