Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
For use in grilled sandwiches
- 3 medium red onions (about 6 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 250° (not a mistake).
- Peel onions and cut each in half through the stem end, then cut each half into quarters; cut the quarters in half crosswise; place onions into a bowl.
- To the onions, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and pepper; toss to coat onions well.
- Pour onto a small baking sheet or into a 9-inch ovenproof skillet (the onions should be piled onto the pan, not spread in a single layer); set the bowl aside.
- Cook the onions for a total of 3 hours; take them out every 30 minutes and transfer back to the bowl to mix thoroughly before rearranging on the baking sheet and putting back in the oven--this keeps any part of the onion slices from drying out and becoming crispy.
- Will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.