1/1 Photo of Sweet Onion Turnovers
1 hr 50 mins
I found this in a Taste of Home cookbook and the picture looks so good! If I had enough onions on hand, I'd make them today! The prep time is an estimate. After I've made these, I'll update the time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1/3-1/2 cup cold water
- 6 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in 3/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2Gradually, add water, tossing with a fork until mixture forms a ball.
- 3Shape into a flattened ball; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 4In a large skillet, cook the onions, rosemary and thyme in remaining butter over medium-low heat until onions begin to turn golden brown.
- 5Add broth and pepper; cook over high heat until liquid is absorbed. Cool slightly.
- 6In a bowl, beat eggs; set aside 2 tablespoons. Stir cream and mustard into remaining beaten eggs. Stir in breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and onion mixture.
- 7Divide dough into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-inch circle.
- 8Place on two greased baking sheets. Spoon about 1/2 cup onion mixture on one side of each. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal.
- 9Brush with reserved beaten egg. Bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes or until filling reaches 160 degrees and crust is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Onion Turnovers
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.3
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 164.0 mg
- Sodium 708.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g