Recipe by JillAZ
This comes from The Best Freezer Cookbook. I like this with the fire roasted tomatoes. I think the brand I used was Muir Glen. Also, don't leave off the basil cream, it adds a little something extra that is really nice. I also just used my immersion blender to blend this right in the pot. Enjoy!
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 793.78 g diced canned tomatoes with juice
- 1.23 ml cayenne
For Basil Cream
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 29.58 ml finely chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 15 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add stock, tomatoes and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree in blender or food processor.
- You might need to do this in batches as warm liquids WILL EXPAND in the blender.
- If freezing: allow to cool Ladle into freezer containers. Label and freeze for up to 4 months.
- To serve:.
- Thaw soup in fridge overnight or use microwave.
- Place in saucpan and heat through.
- While soup is heating, make basil cream.
- Basil Cream:.
- Place whipping cream in a bowl and whip with beaters until soft peaks form. Stir in finely chopped basil.
- To serve soup:.
- Ladle soup into a bowl an top with a dollop of the basil cream.
- Serve with Crunchy wedges if desired.