1/2 Photos of Sweet Onion & Tomato Soup With Fresh Basil Cream
This comes from The Best Freezer Cookbook. I like this with the fire roasted tomatoes. I think the brand I used was Muir Glen. Also, don't leave off the basil cream, it adds a little something extra that is really nice. I also just used my immersion blender to blend this right in the pot. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounces diced canned tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
For Basil Cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1In large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 15 minutes until starting to brown.
- 2Add stock, tomatoes and cayenne.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Allow to cool slightly, then puree in blender or food processor.
- 6You might need to do this in batches as warm liquids WILL EXPAND in the blender.
- 7If freezing: allow to cool Ladle into freezer containers. Label and freeze for up to 4 months.
- 8To serve:.
- 9Thaw soup in fridge overnight or use microwave.
- 10Place in saucpan and heat through.
- 11While soup is heating, make basil cream.
- 12Basil Cream:.
- 13Place whipping cream in a bowl and whip with beaters until soft peaks form. Stir in finely chopped basil.
- 14To serve soup:.
- 15Ladle soup into a bowl an top with a dollop of the basil cream.
- 16Serve with Crunchy wedges if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Onion & Tomato Soup With Fresh Basil Cream
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.3
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.1 mg
- Sodium 551.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 5.7 g