Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a contemperary take on a traditional steak house salad. Soaking the onions in ice water helps remove the bitter compounds. Adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vidalia onions, very thinly sliced (1 small onion)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, very thinly sliced (1 small onion)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups radicchio, cored, leaves separated, cut into 1/2 " pieces (8 oz.)
- 2 cups red leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved if large
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place onions into a large bowl of cold water. Mix onions in water with hands until water becomes cloudy. Move onions to a clean bowl of cold water and let soak 15 minutes. Repeat with cold water 2 more times. Drain and pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk balsamic vinegar, honey, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Add in radicchio, lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley to bowl with onions. Drizzle with the dressing to taste, and toss well. Serve with remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Sharon, we absolutely loved this salad, I made as stated only I added in a teaspoon of sugar and fresh garlic to the dressing, I am going to make this again and add in some cooked chicken or beef, what a great salad, thanks for sharing hon!