Sweet Onion Soup Gratinee
- Cook the onions in a large heavy pot, in the oil. Cook very slowly, and don't bother stirring the onions for a while. About 15 minutes.
- After the onions are very darkly caramelized, deglaze with the white wine. Reduce this au sec before proceeding with the stocks and juice.
- Find a way to easily remove your herbs. I prefer a sachet, which is just a little sack made of cheesecloth, and fastened with butcher's twine. Simmer the herbs in with the soup for about 30 minutes.
- This is another soup that I should note that its flavor will increase as it sits. So cook early.
- Finish it with a good strong shot of brandy to perk it back up.
- As for the cheese, I recommend using a little slab of crusty bread as a raft over the soup and melting the cheese over the whole thing. Use the broiler in your oven. I don't like the cheese browned but some do. Let it run all over the sides of the bowl. It'll really add to the effect.