Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I put this together one night after I picked up a bunch of sweet onions from the store. I then turned this into a sauce that I served over some pork loin cutlets. I think next time I make some more I'll use it in a french onion dip.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons summer savory (dried)
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Dice onions to a medium dice.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add the onions, salt and brown sugar. Cook onios over medium heat until they are soft and take on a nice caramel color.
- Turn up the heat to med-high and cook until they get darker in color and get a little sear going.
- Add the summer savory and the vinegars.
- Turn heat down to medium and let simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
- Serve immediately, or chill quickly and store in an airtight container.