Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The onions and quesadillas can be grilled indoors with a ridged grill pan or with a George Foreman type grill if you prefer.
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- olive oil, for brushing onion and tortillas
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- 3 ounces grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro, washed well,spun dry,and chopped coarse
- Cut onion crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange slices on a tray, keeping them intact.
- Brush both sides of slices lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill onion on a lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly charred and softened.
- Transfer onion as grilled to a bowl, separating rings.
- Brush 2 tortillas lightly with oil on one side and put, oiled side down, on a platter.
- Divide onion, Monterey Jack, and coriander between tortillas and cover with remaining 2 tortillas.
- Brush tops of quesadillas lightly with oil.
- With a metal spatula transfer quesadillas to a rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals and grill until undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Flip quesadillas over and grill until undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute more.
- Transfer quesadillas to a cutting board and cut into wedges.