Recipe by Romany The Cat
I devised this pizza after being inspired by the book, Gastronomy of Italy, written by Anna Del Conti. The pizza dough is straight from the book and is enough for 2 pizzas, or if you want, use a bought base...nowhere near as much fun though. The topping is rather simple but the onions are so flavoursome they really don't need a lot added to them. I added the cheese because the friend I was cooking this for said that a pizza isn't pizza without cheese, it did make it kind of yummy but as you can see i didn't add a lot.
- 500 g plain flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- little extra oil, to finish
- 5 -6 large onions, in rings
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 -3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch oregano
- tasty cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour on the clean work surface, mix in the yeast and salt and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the oil into the well and add about 200ml/1 cup of body temperature water.
- Slowly combine the flour on the inner side of the wall with the liquid adding more water as needed, until a thick dough forms.
- Knead for about 10 minutes then divide into 2 balls.
- Place them in 2 oiled bowls and cover with a damp cloth.
- Place in a warm spot and let rise for 2 hours.
- Oil and flour 2 pizza trays, and preheat the oven at it's hottest temperature.
- Punch down the dough and knead briefly.
- Roll and stretch the dough into shape and line the pizza trays.
- Leave a small rim around the edge.
- Add toppings and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until crust browns.
- For the topping heat a little oil in a pan and fry onions, add salt and sugar, cover, reduce heat and stir occasionally.
- Watch that the onions turn a nice uniform brown and don't burn.
- Add the bacon, capsicum and tomato paste, cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the seasonings to taste.
- Spread out on prepared pizza base, leaving about 2cm/1/2" of crust around the edge.
- Slice cheese into 3 thick slices and then cut across to form 6 triangles.
- Place on pizza to form 6 pieces.
- Bake as above.