Recipe by Miss Annie
This makes a wonderful side dish for any cookout, or barbeque, or holiday dinner. It can be prepared one day ahead and refrigerated.
Top Review by bella214
Wow, this is simply the best. I love Vidalia onions and that is what I used in this recipe. This was cheesy, creamy, with a little sweet and savory taste combination. My husband and I really enjoyed this one. Thanks Miss Annie.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 lbs coarsely chopped sweet onions (Texas 1015; Vidalia, or Maui Sweets)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes.
- Mix in cheese and cream, then rice, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Turn mixture into a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 325ºF until onions are golden, about 1 hour.
- NOTE: Dish can be prepared one day ahead.
- Cover dish and refrigerate.
- Bring to room temperature before baking.