Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes a wonderful side dish for any cookout, or barbeque, or holiday dinner. It can be prepared one day ahead and refrigerated.
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes.
- Mix in cheese and cream, then rice, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Turn mixture into a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 325ºF until onions are golden, about 1 hour.
- NOTE: Dish can be prepared one day ahead.
- Cover dish and refrigerate.
- Bring to room temperature before baking.
Wow, this is simply the best. I love Vidalia onions and that is what I used in this recipe. This was cheesy, creamy, with a little sweet and savory taste combination. My husband and I really enjoyed this one. Thanks Miss Annie.
I taste tested prior to putting in the oven, so I had to do a review before it is even baked. If it tastes better after being baked, it will have to go to 5 stars. I cut the recipe in half, used Texas 1015's cause I am from TX, sprayed a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and popped it in the oven. Can't wait! Thanks for the recipe!
This was a hit at my 4th of July BBQ!! Even my friend who doesn't like to eat onions had seconds. I made this exactly as posted (except for using black pepper in place of the white) and would not change a thing.