Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Breads and Spreads
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt (if using).
- Add in milk, egg, and 2 tablespoons oil, mixing well (the batter will be thin).
- Stir in the onions; mix well.
- Grease a 10-inch iron skillet with the remaining oil, pour in the batter; bake for 30-35 minutes or until light brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.