Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a comforting, delicious, and flavorful casserole that is great for potlucks. My whole family gets excited when my Mom makes this-- a rare occasion! From Taste of Home 2004 (submitted by Jeanette Travis)
- 2 large vidalia onions or 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, milk, dill, and salt until blended; stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Stir into onion mixture; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine egg, corn, corn bread mix and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Spoon onion mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until top is set and lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Delicious!!! I cut the recipe in half and it worked perfectly... and the entire pan was gobbled up by three people! This is definitely a keeper, thanks for posting!
This sounded so good to me, but it didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to. Perhaps it was user-error. Taste was good, but the consistency wasn't uniform through the dish and it didn't "set up" the way I though it would, even with the cornbread mix. It made it hard to scoop out. Thanks for sharing, though.
When I read this recipe I had some doubts, but that faded away with the first bite. This is an easy to prepare, tasty dish which DH and I both enjoyed. Thanks for posting.