Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is originally from a woman's magazine, but I can't remember which one. Anyway, it's a great side dish with steaks, roasts, or anything from the grill. It's one of my husband's favorites! I've also made it with fat-free half and half with good results.
Top Review by GMurchison
This is an excellent recipe and a great side dish for any occassion (originally from Southern Living I think). Great variation is to use cheddar cheese, low fat milk, and top with cooked bacon (cracker crumbs can be placed on top or bottom). To die for!! Enjoy!
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 medium sweet onions, chopped (about 2 c.)
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup saltine, finely crushed (about 20 crackers)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 4 T. butter in a skillet.
- Add the onions and saute' for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place half of the onions in a 8X8 Baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese and 1/4 cup cracker crumbs.
- Top with remaining onions and cheese.
- Whisk eggs and next three ingredients and pour over onion mixture.
- Melt remaining 2 T. butter and add the remaining 1/2 cup cracker crumbs.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until crumbs are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle crumbs evenly over the onion mixture and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and set.